Hotel Malý Pivovar



According to a number of preserved documents, the historic rooms within the HOTEL MALÝ PIVOVAR site date back to the mid-12th century when the Cistercian Order chose this location to build their enormous monastery, today the KLÁŠTER brewery. 

SKÁLA RESTAURANT’S underground rooms, loosely linked to the hotel, also come from this period and were carved into the rock by hand by the monks who were building the monastery. If you look closely, you will see that originally it was two cellars one above the other, which were later joined together into one large hall. Naturally, construction of the cellars took up a lot of time, apparently 38 years. Over the centuries, these dug out caves have served the monks as temporary accommodation and for hiding from uninvited guests.

The HOTEL MALÝ PIVOVAR building itself was likely built in the second half of the 16th century during construction of the Renaissance castle which was built on the ruins of the monastery. It is here that we come across the first records speaking of the fact that the estate included a small castle brewery, an integral part of which was rooms for the production of malt, i.e. a MALT HOUSE.

In 1623, the owners of the premises were the Waldstein-Wartenbergs. The first and also most important owner was Albrecht von Wallenstein, who is buried in the nearby chapel within the Mnichovo Hradiště castle premises.

An extensive restoration took place in 1852 with everything following from the needs of the Klášter brewery. At the same time, more and more extensive cellars were constructed throughout the premises.

Also worthy of mention is the bricked in artillery round in the hotel’s façade where it was attacked by Prussian artillery. It is a reminder of the Austro-Prussian War and the battle at Mnichovo Hradiště which took place on 28 June 1866.

Its latest chapter begins in the 1990s and with the Klášter brewery. The brewery decided to construct a brewery restaurant in the basement rooms which became a favoured destination for many visitors.

The hotel’s renovation and construction to produce its appearance today took place from 2012 to 2014. Over this period, extreme care was taken to preserve historical features, from the original historic arches with sandstone columns to the arches with wrought-iron chandeliers in the hotel restaurant.

Another feature of architectural interest is the original wooden structure in the hotel section, which is supported by wooden columns made from whole trunks. The hotel’s overall style is highlighted by fantastic wrought-iron features from a master blacksmith. 


Klášter Hradiště nad Jizerou 22
294 15 Czech republic
(Mladá Boleslav, Turnov, Bakov nad Jizerou, Liberec)

tel.: +420 702 136 980
e-mail: recepce[at] 

přejít na mapu / go to map

Download Free Premium Joomla Templates • FREE High-quality Joomla! Designs